Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Monkey Shines Horror from 88

This weekend I watched a new premier, then followed it up with a throw back to my childhood, Monkey Shines.  Hats off to my wife for suggesting this one.  It is a great classic, from before the era of animals are our friends.

The movie opens with the star, Jason Beghe, getting himself ran over.  He becomes a quadriplegic, then later suicidal.  So his friend John Pankow decides to help him out.  At this point things seem to get better, before desolving into the horrors associated with having a genetically altered pet monkey, who has been trained to do your bidding.

Like I said, this film was made when animals could still be the bad guy, and that was okay.

The horror is classic 80's, which means the clothes are more frightening then the story.  Still I found it to be a fun movie and enjoyed hanging out with the wife for a few hours to watch.

This was George A Romero's first studio film, he wrote and directed it. So if you are a Romero fan this is a great film to watch.

Overall if you are looking for a way to spend a few hours and have a bit of fun, get some friends together and check it out.  Or go grab one of your favorite classics.

2 comments:

  1. You guys are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed it! It was fun watching that movie again, and especially since you hadn't seen it yet! I love you and I am excited to pick another classic horror flick for you.

    ReplyDelete